Tuesday, January 1, 2013

One Little Word: Flourish

flour·ish

[flur-ish, fluhr-] Show IPA
verb (used without object)
1. to be in a vigorous state; thrive: a period in which art flourished.
2. to be in its or in one's prime; be at the height of fame, excellence, influence, etc.
3. to be successful; prosper.
4. to grow luxuriantly, or thrive in growth, as a plant.
5. to make dramatic, sweeping gestures: Flourish more when you act out the king's great death scene.

I had an incredibly hard time picking a word this year. I started thinking about it in November, and I didn't actually pick on until yesterday! The looming new year forced me to come to a decision, and I ended up with a word that hadn't even been on my list of possibilities. To try and help my decision I had started listening to the reading of the words from last year on Ali's Blog. They read the word "bloom" and the word flourish just popped into my head.
I knew it was the one. It just felt right. It encompassed several of the things I was hoping to capture with my word. 
2013 is going to be a big year for our Family. My husband is graduating form College in May, We are taking our first family vacation (to DisneyWorld! More on that later), my oldest son will be starting Kindergarten, and we are likely moving, depending on where my husband can get a job after graduation. It's a lot of change, a bit of uncertainty, and a lot of fun. 2013 also comes with my husband being home more, which gives me more time to focus on other things, especially with my oldest going off to school later this year. 
It seemed like the perfect year to work on "Me", but the word "me" seemed too selfish. I thought about what it was I wanted to do with that "me" time and found myself entertaining the word "community". 
I wanted to spend my time working on more craft projects and getting more involved with the crafting/designing/blogging "community", building a network of people that I could take with me wherever I might end up. I also wanted to socialize my boys more, with no car, and a husband who worked 16-17 hour days I hardly ever had the energy to participate in local play groups, as most of them have activities in the midst of suburbia, involving lots of walking, in who knows what weather... I wanted to help my children build a "community" to, and get to know more people in my area. I wanted to start going to church more regularly and be part of that community. That word stuck around as my word idea for a while, but it still didn't seem right.
And then came "Flourish".  I wanted to flourish in my community, become a real part of things, feel like I belong and am needed. I wanted to flourish in my relationships with my children and husband, make them stronger, and create new memories. I wanted to flourish wherever I might end up by the end of this year. I wanted adventure to flourish in my life, explore new possibilities, places, and experiences.
So flourish is my word. And hopefully I will be flourishing in 2013! 
I've started a pinterest board on my personal account that focuses on my one little word, quotes, books, others posts, items, etc. It is a work in progress right now, but I hope to add more. You can find it here.
I also hope to sign up for Ali Edwards class at Big Picture Classes that helps you explore your chosen word a little more each month of the year, and keep it in the forefront of your mind. I think it is an excellent idea, plus it helps me to build a community, as a few of the lovely ladies I met at the Smash Ball are taking it as well.
So excited for 2013! This is going to be an awesome year! How could it not be with my Lucky number 13 in it! 

1 comment:

  1. I hope you will indeed flourish, in your family, in church, and in your other community. I'm still working on my word...I think I've got it but I'm not sure it's quite right yet.

    ReplyDelete